Macro Bowls are not only super easy to make but jam packed with nutrient dense veggies, fruits/carbohydrates, healthy fats, and quality proteins! They are perfect for people who are time poor, constantly on the go or busy running around after your kids! The best thing about Macro bowls is there is no secret recipe or rules, you can literally add as many macronutrients as you desire!
Here's a quick breakdown on what makes the perfect macro bowl:
Greens | Spinach, romaine, arugula, kale, micro greens, sprouts etc.
Proteins | Keep it plant-based by choosing proteins such as tempeh, beans, quinoa and lentils or animal based protein such as salmon, tuna, chicken, turkey mince or eggs!
Healthy fats | Avocado, olive oil, nuts, seeds
Veggies | Carrots, bell peppers, cucumbers, zucchini, snap peas, peas, radish, green beans, broccoli, cauliflower or any other veggies that tickle your tastebuds!
Carbohydrates | Sweet potatoes, quinoa, brown rice, wild rice, beans (starchy-protein), corn and peas (starchy veggie). Key is to pick slow releasing carbohydrates to help you sustain your energy throughout the day!
Fruits | Strawberries, pears, banana, papaya, mango, grapes, raspberries, apples, etc.
Add-ons | Fermented veggies like kim chi or sauerkraut, homemade hummus..
Dressing | Keep it super simple with lemon juice and a dash of extra virgin olive oil or try my favourite combo of dijon mustard, tahini, lemon and apple cider vinegar!
My Favourite Macro Bowl Recipe!
This Macro bowl combo proteins packed & of course delicious!
- 350 grams skinless chicken breast
- 1/3 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup of green beans
- 1/2 cup of broccoli
- 1/2 avocado sliced
- 1/2 cup of sweet potato peeled and cubed
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Tamari
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 180c
2. Cook quinoa
3. Toss sweet potato in half of the sesame oil and place on lined oven tray. Cook for 20 minutes until golden.
4. Dice chicken and mix with garlic and tamari. Cook in hot frypan with the rest of the sesame oil until cooked through.
5. Steam the greens on the stovetop or in the microwave until tender crisp.
6. Portion the chicken, quinoa and veggies into bowls.
7. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.